England & Wales
Lent is ordered to preparing for the celebration of Easter, since the Lenten liturgy prepares for the celebration of the Paschal Mystery both catechumens, by the various stages of Christian Initiation, and the faithful, who recall their own Baptism and do penance.
Universal Norms for the Liturgical Year and Calendar, 27
By your gracious gift each year
your faithful await the sacred paschal feasts
with joy of minds made pure,
so that, more eagerly intent on prayer
and on the works of charity,
and participating in the mysteries
by which they have been reborn,
that may be led to the fullness of grace
that you bestow on your sons and daughters.
cf. Roman Missal, Preface I of Lent
November - Praying for the Dead
The Spirituality Committee has prepared a Novena for November to assist people praying for the dead in this month. On each day a different group is prayed for, including those who have lost their lives during the Pandemic.
- Novena for November (pdf)
The Guidance of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of England and Wales can be found on its webpages.
Liturgy Office material is gathered on a resources page.
The Spirituality Committee has begun a project to sustain and support people's prayer life based on the Psalms.
The God who Speaks: Year of the Word
- The New Lectionary for England and Wales
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) — Prayers during a time of 'flu and illness
- Sunday of the Word of God
- Day of Prayer for Survivors of Abuse - 12 April
- St Paul VI added to liturgical Calendar
- StudyGuide to Catholic Liturgy
- Feast of Our Lord Jesus Christ, the Eternal High Priest & Calendar Notes
- Chrism Mass & Adoremus Resources II
- Adoremus- resources I
- Bishops' Conference November 2017 - Magnum Principium
- Cycle of Prayer - Intercessions & Bible Sunday
- Holydays of Obligation
- The place of silence
- CDF Instruction on Cremation and the Burial of Ashes
- Liturgical Calendar 2017
- Forthcoming Liturgical Translations
- Feast of St Mary Magdalene
Cycle of Prayer — Lent
- Candidates for the Sacraments
- especially on the Sundays of Lent
- The Needy and Hungry of the World
- especially on Lent Fast Day (Friday after 1st Sunday of Lent)
- Women's World Day of Prayer
- (1st Friday in March)
- Penitents and Wanderers
The Catholic Bishops’ Conference of England and Wales have dedicated 2020 as a year of focus on the Bible and ‘The God Who Speaks’.
Confirmation & Marriage
New translations of the Order of Confirmation and the Order of Celebrating Matrimony was published in January 2016 for use from Easter 2016.
- Press Release
- Order of Confirmation — Information & Resources
- Order of Celebrating Matrimony — Information & Resources
Formation material for and texts from the Roman Missal have been re-incorporated back inothe Liturgy Office website.
- Liturgical Calendar
- Cycle of Prayer
Department for Christian Life and Worship
The Department for Christian Life and Worship is one of the six Departments of the Catholic Bishops' Conference of England and Wales. It is advised by three Committees: