England & Wales
Grant that your faithful, O Lord,
whom you nourish and endow with life
through the food of your Word and heavenly Sacrament,
may so benefit from your beloved Son's great gifts
that we may merit an eternal share in his life.
Roman Missal, 23rd Sunday in Ordinary Time
Besides the times of year that have their own distinctive character, there remains in the yearly cycle thirty-three or thirty-four weeks in which no particular aspect of the mystery of Christ is celebrated,but rather the mystery of Christ itself is honoured in its fullness, especially on Sundays. This period is known as Ordinary Time.
Beginning with the Third Sunday, there is a semicontinuous reading of the Synoptic Gospels. This reading is arranged in such a way that as the Lord's life and preaching unfold the teaching proper to each of these Gospels is presented.
The Guidance of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of England and Wales can be found on its webpages.
Liturgy Office material is gathered on a resources page.
This includes material for Holy Week, Triduum and Easter.
The God who Speaks: Year of the Word
- The New Lectionary for England and Wales
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) — Prayers during a time of 'flu and illness
- Sunday of the Word of God
- Day of Prayer for Survivors of Abuse - 12 April
- St Paul VI added to liturgical Calendar
- StudyGuide to Catholic Liturgy
- Feast of Our Lord Jesus Christ, the Eternal High Priest & Calendar Notes
- Chrism Mass & Adoremus Resources II
- Adoremus- resources I
- Bishops' Conference November 2017 - Magnum Principium
- Cycle of Prayer - Intercessions & Bible Sunday
- Holydays of Obligation
- The place of silence
- CDF Instruction on Cremation and the Burial of Ashes
- Liturgical Calendar 2017
- Forthcoming Liturgical Translations
- Feast of St Mary Magdalene
Cycle of Prayer — Summer
- A Deeper Understanding between Christians and Jews
- Those who suffer Persecution, Oppression, and Denial of Human Rights
- especially on St John Fisher and St Thomas More (22 June)
- especially of the feasts of St Benedict (11 July), St Bridget of Sweden (23 July), St Teresa Benedicta of the Cross (9 August) who with St Cyril and St Methodius (14 February), and St Catherine of Siena (29 April) are Patrons of Europe
- Human Life
- especially on the Day for Life (3rd Sunday in June)
- especially on Sea Sunday (2nd Sunday in July)
The Catholic Bishops’ Conference of England and Wales have dedicated 2020 as a year of focus on the Bible and ‘The God Who Speaks’.
Confirmation & Marriage
New translations of the Order of Confirmation and the Order of Celebrating Matrimony was published in January 2016 for use from Easter 2016.
- Press Release
- Order of Confirmation — Information & Resources
- Order of Celebrating Matrimony — Information & Resources
Formation material for and texts from the Roman Missal have been re-incorporated back inothe Liturgy Office website.
- Liturgical Calendar
- Cycle of Prayer
Department for Christian Life and Worship
The Department for Christian Life and Worship is one of the six Departments of the Catholic Bishops' Conference of England and Wales. It is advised by three Committees: